The BC Manufacturing Jobs Fund (BCMJF) is helping create more than 640 jobs and protect over 1000 existing manufacturing jobs throughout B.C. The funding program aims to promote economic diversification and complement other supports for forestry workers and rural communities. Since opening its call for applications in February 2023, BCMJF has already contributed towards creating an estimated 40 additional manufacturing jobs in the Cowichan Valley.
Cowichan Valley BCMJF recipients include:
Kinsol Timber Systems (Mill Bay)
- Their project involves building a pre-fabrication facility at Kinsol’s operating site to increase capacity for mass-timber production. The facility will add a nail-laminated timber line, increase its sawn-timber and glue-laminated-timber fabrication, and establish a new panelized wall line. This project is expected to create 9 jobs.
- BCMJF Funding= $500,000
C.W. Creative Woodcraft Ltd. (Cobble Hill)
- C.W. Creative is a cabinet and millwork manufacturer specializing in using local, second-growth fibre. This project supports the expansion of their existing facility and the acquisition of new machinery to double their production capacity, optimize production and reduce waste. This project is expected to create 14 jobs.
- BCMJF Funding= $286,000
Nexus Global Building Solutions (Cobble Hill)
- Nexus will expand and upgrade its existing facility and purchase new machinery that will diversify its product lines for the construction of modular and manufactured homes. The integration of increased efficiencies and component accuracy will save money and reduce waste. This project is expected to create 12 jobs.
- BCMJF Funding= $200,000
Bioflame Briquettes Ltd. (Chemainus)
- Bioflame Briquettes manufactures briquettes from waste sawdust from the forestry industry. This project will purchase and commission a hammermill and briquette press to increase fibre diversity and production. This project is expected to create 4 jobs.
- BCMJF Funding= $117,320
Funding through the BCMJF is part of a series of programs the Province has introduced to support the growth of value-added manufacturing in B.C.’s forestry sector. A strong value-added manufacturing industry diversifies the forestry sector, creating new jobs, protecting existing jobs and buffering against global market challenges.
The BCMJF will remain open to proposals for approximately one more year (until February 2025) or until all funds are allocated. Eligible applicants include businesses, for-profit organizations, and entities with for-profit manufacturing operations, including First Nations and Indigenous- and First Nation-owned enterprises. Non-repayable funding contributions are provided through two streams:
- Project Readiness:
- Up to $50,00 contributions for final-stage planning to prepare for a capital project.
- Capital Investments:
- From $100,000 up to $10 million contributions for new or renovated infrastructure, technology, equipment and processes.
The goals of the program include investing in high-value, high-growth manufacturing sectors, contributing to clean, inclusive growth and economic resilience and diversification, creating and maintaining long-term well-paying jobs, helping companies leverage other funding sources and bringing investment into B.C., and boosting productivity, strengthening supply chains and driving competitiveness in domestic and international markets.
If you would like more information on applicant and project eligibility, you can take a look at the BCMJF Program Guide below. You can also contact BCMJF directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.