Education and schools in Cowichan
Since its completion in 2011, the new Vancouver Island University Cowichan Campus in Duncan has enticed students to remain in the region after completing high school. The campus has developed a specific focus on Aboriginal education and is home to the Cowichan Trades Centre, an innovative program that combines the dual delivery of university and high school courses.
The University of Victoria, Camosun College and Royal Roads University are less than an hour away from central Cowichan, and the Nanaimo campus of Vancouver Island University is located 45 minutes away from Duncan.
School District 79 in the Cowichan Valley has 4 secondary and 16 elementary schools offering regular curriculum as well as Aboriginal education, K-12 French Immersion and alternative learning programs. Recently opened, Mill Bay Nature School offers a new approach to learning. School District 68 serves the Ladysmith and North Oyster areas with primary, intermediate and senior schools. Ladysmith is also home to a French language school and a First Nations school.
Private and Independent Schools
- Brentwood College is a private co-educational boarding school located on a 77-acre oceanfront property in Mill Bay. The school is particularly renowned for its rowing program.
- Shawnigan Lake School is a private boarding school that also welcomes many international students.
- St. John’s Academy, also in Shawnigan Lake, is a private school which offers boarding and is home to international and local students.
- Queen Margaret’s School in Duncan is a boarding and day school popular with international students because of its outstanding equestrian program.
- Waldorf Education is offered at Sunrise Waldorf School in Duncan.
- Other independent schools in Cowichan include Duncan Christian School and Queen of Angels School in Duncan, and St. Joseph’s Elementary School in Chemainus.
- Evergreen Independent School in Cobble Hill features small class sizes and an integrated approach to learning.
Receive a notification for updated news and events.